Sleaford Railway Station was built in 1857 for Midland Counties Railway, then in 1882 passed to the Great North Eastern Railway company, and now holds Grade II listed status. Bagnalls were commissioned by Construction Marine Limited for Network Rail to undertake the full redecoration of the footbridge and stairwells.
The main station block encompasses an internal staircase leading to the enclosed wood and iron staircase, taking passengers to the waiting rooms on the West platform. The bridge is supported by ornate Victorian columns and brackets with lattice panels across the span, wooden boarding and enclosed roof. An innovative and environmentally friendly method of sponge blasting was used to achieve the preparation standards required prior to the application of a Sherwin Williams coating system to meet Network Rail’s M24 specification.
The work had to be carried out under limited hour possessions, on midweek night shifts, with limited access time to the actual work areas. In addition, the programme for all works to be completed was only six weeks to allow the bridge to be fully re-opened to passengers. Bagnalls specialist site team worked in conjunction with the steel repair teams working in segments through the steel sections. Professional teamwork and careful planning ensured that the programme timetable was achieved and the quality and safety requirements fully met.