Apprentice of the year
Call us today on: 01274 714 800. or contact your local branch

Sleaford Station Footbridge

Bagnalls | 20 June

Sleaford Railway Station was built in 1857 for Midland Counties Railway and then in 1882 passed to the Great North Eastern Railway company. The main station block encompasses an internal staircase leading to the enclosed wood and iron staircase, taking passengers to the waiting rooms on the West platform. The bridge is supported by ornate Victorian columns and brackets with lattice panels across the span, wooden boarding and enclosed roof. The picturesque station and bridge were Grade II listed in 1986.

The bridge refurbishment required steel and timber repairs and full abrasive blasting preparation to Sa2.5 and the application of specialist protective coatings.  The work had to be carried out under limited hour possessions, on midweek night shifts, with limited access time to the actual work areas. In addition, the programme for all works to be completed was only six weeks to allow the bridge to be fully re-opened to passengers.

Preparation was carried out using an innovative sponge blasting method, achieving preparation to Sa2.5 and ensuring removal of the old coatings from the steelwork. The sponge blasting technique was chosen for its environmental and time benefits.  It creates less dust and waste, so the bridge did not need to have a full scaffold and encapsulation. The work was carried out from mobile towers erected over the tracks with tarpaulins to contain the spent sponge shot which was then collected and recycled. A Sherwin Williams Network Rail M24 specification was applied using Macropxy M922m primer and intermediate coatings and Acrolon C137v2 finish coat. The coatings were applied with brush and roller, and both wet and dry film thicknesses were taken throughout to ensure the correct micron thicknesses were achieved in compliance with the specification.

Bagnalls worked in conjunction with the steel repair teams working in segments through the steel sections. The bridge deck was removed to enable access to the steelwork from the scaffold towers. We carried out the timber repairs, preparation and painting in conjunction with the steelworks to complete the bridge within the programme.

or call Head Office
on 01274 714 800

Contact Us