Bagnalls were appointed by Brownhill Hayward Brown Limited to undertake the redecoration of the Parish Church of St Lawrence in Darlaston. The church dates from 1606 although it was extensively remodelled in the 1870’s.
The works were to be completed in two phases, the first phase, on the ground floor, including the Chancel, Organ Chamber, the Nave and pulpit, North and South aisles, Clergy’s Vestry. In addition, all marble plaques in these areas had to be carefully cleaned. On the upper floor the complete upper gallery including the stair access lobbies and stairwell were also redecorated and where necessary repairs to plasterwork were carried out.
The second phase was the full redecoration of St George’s Chapel.
All works had to be completed with consultation with the British Heritage Board to ensure all heritage specifications were met. We also worked closely with our supply chain partner, PPG Architectural Coatings, to ensure that the Johnstones Trade specification was compliant.
Areas of height were accessed by fixed scaffold and allowances had to be made in our programme for weddings and funerals, during which time the scaffold was fully removed and rebuilt afterwards.
The church also remained open to the public throughout the works with appropriate barriers and signage for safety. The duration of the contract was two months.